Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Classroom Library Setup


How to set up my classroom library was definitely something I researched and researched and researched.  

I wanted to know what worked for people, what didn't work for people...what looked the best, what was most convenient. All of those things played a role in what I have now. 

I do not think it's by any means perfect....I think it might change some more over the next few years. 

Here are my books all set up before being organized.  I had acquired boxes and boxes and boxes of books over the past few years and decided reading level was the best way to organize them to start with.  

I ended up putting the books I had 'sets' of together, Science books together, Famous Americans together, folktales together, and sports books together.  

To the left are all the 'set's and to the right starts the levels. I have from a low 2nd grade reading level to a high 6th grade reading level....and as fate would have you, that is exactly the range I needed this year!                                                                        
The little cups on the top of the shelf with number sticks in them are labeled with numbers that correspond to my students (alphabetically). I use these numbers for the Super Improver Wall (my behavioral management system) so I'm not singling out a student for behavior problems in front of the entire class as well as to keep track of their books.  

When a student gets a book out of a bin they place their number stick in that bin.  When they return the book they return it to the bin with their number, get their number, and place their number in a new bin.  

This way all that time I spent organizing the books doesn't go to waste! 
Here is what the numbers look like before I printed them. I used a circle cutter and then just hot glued them to a large popsicle stick.  I explained to the students HOW to use them at the beginning of the year and they have done wonderful with them! 

Want a PDF file of the number? Just leave a comment with your email address :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment