Friday, January 29, 2016

Famous Americans Anyone?


As I began my famous Americans unit I decided I wanted to introduce close reading to my students. 

Close reading tends to be a more difficult passage that is reread in order to gain more information and get a better understanding of things.  We had not done close reading yet so I chose to make these fairly simple yet very informative.  

Our State's standards require Cesar Chavez, Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Jr., Thomas Jefferson, and Thurgood Marshall. That's a lot to throw at a third grader all at once! 


I threw together some information, added a picture and finished up with some questions and requirements while doing their reread. 
Students would do one a day (they would start in the morning for morning work and finish up right before Content) and we would check them during content block.  

I feel like it was a great introduction to close reading and also a great way to integrate literacy into my content! I threw these together so fast (haven't even checked them for grammar errors), but I'll share them in a PDF document if you comment with your email address

2 comments:

  1. Can you please email me these reading passages? Bllittle84@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you share this with me?
    kaileefairchild@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete